How to make your EV battery last longer?
How To Make Your EV Battery Last Longer
You've decided to electrify your drive with a PHEV Mitsubishi vehicle, and now we want to help you increase the longevity of your EV battery. Many of us have experienced some level of battery degradation, whether it is a cell phone battery or the batteries used for your power tools. But the inability to hold a charge on your electric car battery is a bit more expensive to replace, and can seriously impact your drive.
When you elect to drive the 2020 Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, Canada's Best-Selling Plug-In Hybrid SUV, or a pre-owned EV vehicle, it is equipped with a rechargeable battery to help make your drive eco-friendly. This battery generally lasts anywhere between 8 to 10 years. Our staff at Steele Mitsubishi want EV automotive consumers in Halifax, Dartmouth, Bedford, Sackville, and Truro, to enjoy their EV vehicle without worry for many years. So what can you do to help extend the life of your EV battery?
Here are a few tips to may help you preserve the life of your EV battery:
- Minimize exposure to high temperatures - Be sure to park your EV in the shade whenever possible, or plug it in so that the battery's thermal management system can operate using grid power.
- Minimize exposure to low temperatures - The most significant damage can occur when parking unplugged in extremely low temperatures. If you can plug in, the battery's thermal management system can keep the battery in the appropriate setting.
- Minimize the amount of time spent in 100% state of charge - Your EV battery operates best between 40-70%. Do not leave your EV plugged in all night, every night, to charge to 100%.
- Minimize time spent at 0% state of charge - Leaving a vehicle unplugged for a long period of time can cause it to self-discharge to 0%, which could damage your battery.
- Avoid using fast charging - While using the fast-charging stations is fine for infrequent long trips, it is recommended to avoid this option as much as possible. Frequent high-voltage DC charging may reduce the life of your battery over time.
For more information on our available EV vehicles or for more tips on how to maintain your EV battery, contact us.